- For the syrup:
- 8 tablespoons of water
- 4 tablespoons of sugar
- 4 tablespoons Cointreau orange liqueur
- For the custard:
- 1/2 litre of whole milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 100 g sugar
- 45 g cornstarch
- For the cake:
- 200 g flour
- 200 ml milk
- 160 ml extra virgin arbequina or empeltre olive oil
- 240 g sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 g bicarbonate
- 14 g yeast
- For the cream:
- 1/2 kg cream
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
First time I tasted this dessert from the city of Vitoria was when I was living in Bilbao, and that was when my passion for pastries began. Besides, the boyfriend of a roommate was a pastry chef and he taught me some tips. This is where I learned what the blowtorch was for in pastry making.
I also lived opposite one of the best bakeries in Bilbao, Martina de Zuricalday and the Hotel Ercilla bakery so I was surrounded by the best Basque desserts!
One of my first creations was the Goxua, and my first pastry cream, also in Logroño there is a bakery / pastry shop El Horno where they also prepare delicious Goxuas
Who can resist the combination of whipped cream, juicy sponge cake and pastry cream? and what about to add a layer of crunchy Ruby Granola, a superb Granola.
Instructions to make Goxua:
- First make the sponge cake
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- Beat the eggs with the electric mixer, add the sugar and continue beating, add the milk and the olive oil.
- In another bowl sift the flour with the yeast, baking soda, vanilla and salt and add this mixture to the egg mixture, mixing well with a spatula or wooden spoon until it is a homogeneous dough.
- Grease a mould and line it with baking paper, pour the mixture into the mould and bake for about half an hour or until it comes out dry when you prick it with a fine knife.
- Once baked, remove and let cool.
- For the custard cream: boil the milk with half the sugar, remove it as soon as it comes to the boil and let it cool down a little. Beat the egg yolks with the sugar vigorously with the whisk until it is well swollen, add the cornstarch and mix well with the spatula. Remove a little milk and add it to the mixture, adding all the milk and mixing well.
- Put it back in the fire always stirring continuously with the hand mixer until it thickens well and always low temperature.
- Cover the whole surface of the custard with plastic film. Let it cool down.
- Whip the cream, which should be very cold, with the sugar.
- Once everything is cold, proceed to assemble the Goxua. To do this, first place the cream in the mold, a thick layer of cream.
- Then add a layer of Ruby Granola
- Cut the sponge cake to form a cake about 2 cm thick.
- Make a syrup with the water, sugar and Cointreau. Boil the water with the sugar for about 10 minutes, add the liqueur and leave to cool a little.
- Soak the cake in the syrup with the help of a kitchen brush.
- Spread the pastry cream and keep it in the fridge for at least a few hours.
- When serving, sprinkle white sugar all over the surface and burn it with a blowtorch.
- I recommend using individual containers