- 500 grs of chestnut puree or 800 grs-1 kg of chestnuts
- 350 ml milk
- 5 eggs
- 150 grs butter
- 150 grs sugar
- 1 trickle of Cognac
- 100 grs of dark chocolate 70%
It is chestnut season, from the beginning of autumn until December all markets are full of these brown nuts and the streets with grill chestnut stands. The chestnut cake is a perfect dessert for the winter, it is the nut with less calories and with nutritive value similar to cereals.
You can prepare the recipe with chestnut puree already packaged in any large supermarket, but now that we are in season I recommend making it with fresh chestnuts and entertain you boiling and peeling them, the difference is remarkable.
This recipe is from a friend from Leon(Spain), Fina, who brought me the chestnuts from El Bierzo with protected designation of origin to prepare this delight dessert.
- If we make it with fresh chestnuts, we first wash, dry and cut them with the knife.
- Put the chestnuts in a pot with water until covered and cook for 30 minutes with salt.
- Drain, let cool 2 minutes and peel.
- Put them to warm in a pot with milk to soften (approx 15 minutes) and beat well until puree.
- Preheat oven to 180 ° C
- Separate the egg whites from the yolks.
- Add the melted butter to the chestnut puree and beat.
- We assemble the egg whites until stiff peaks.
- Beat the yolks with the sugar until there is an augmented and well mixed dough.
- Stir in the egg whites with a spatula until the whole is well mixed.
- Incorporate the chestnut puree and continue stirring with a beater or spatula until a homogeneous dough remains.
- Add the trickle of Cognac and mix.
- Grease a container and stick the baking paper.
- Pour the mixture and bake 30-40 minutes.
- We take out, let cool.
- We melted the chocolate tablet to the water bath and covered the cake with the chocolate fondant.
- For the chestnuts to be easily peeled, use large chestnuts.
- Better to keep aside this cake all night to consume the next day.