- 225 g flour
- 225 g sugar
- 225 ml extra virgin arbequina or empeltre olive oil
- 4 very ripe bananas
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder.
- 1 teaspoon of grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Banana Bread recipe appears for the first time in the 1933 in «Balanced Recipes cookbook» in the city of Pillsbury, USA.
Over the years, this sweet bread became popular throughout the country and by the 1960s, all American housewives knew how to make it.
Today, with almost 100 years of history, banana bread is made all over the world. This cake used to be one of the best in Starbucks (banana muffin) but has been removed from sale. So if you want to try it you will have to get to work.
I got this great recipe and modified it with extra virgin olive oil instead of butter. If you have bananas that are already very ripe, instead of throwing them away you can use them to make this cake.
Instructions to make Banana Bread:
- Preheat the oven to 190°C
- Mix the bananas in the blender until you make a puree.
- Sift the flour and yeast, mix with the bicarbonate, yeast, salt and cinnamon.
- Beat the eggs and sugar until you get a homogeneous and creamy mixture.
- Add the olive oil to the egg mixture, then the vanilla and the ginger and continue beating.
- Add the flour mixture little by little and keep on beating until you get a homogeneous dough.
- Add the bananas pure.
- Grease a cake tin with butter or margarine, line it with baking paper and pour the mixture with the silicone palette and put it in the oven for 45 minutes or until it is done (prick it with a fine knife to check that it comes out dry).
- Take it out from the oven, let it cool down for 15 minutes and then remove it from the mould and leave it to air on a rack until it cools down.
- Bananas should be very ripe, with completely black skin, the more ripe the better.
- If you see that the surface starts to brown too much at the end of cooking, put some albal paper on top so that the surface doesn’t burn too much.