- 1 pack Speculoos cookies
- 650 grs of mascarpone cheese
- 5 eggs
- half a glass of sugar
- almond liqueur
- 3 sheets of gelatin
- cocoa powder
You should know that the origin of this recipe is a mystery and many claim the recipe, even some from the United States!
Some say it was created in the 17th century in honor of the Grand Duke of Tuscany, others say that the origin is in the 19th century in Turin as a gift to the first Italian Prime Minister Camillo Benso and others that it was a energy boosting dessert created for Treviso prostitutes.
Speranza seems to be the creator with her Imperial Cup in 1950 in a restaurant in Treviso, but the name Tiramisu was incorporated in 1970 in the restaurant Beccherie.
The classic tiramisu is made with biscuits savoiardis .. but what if we change them for some Belgian Speculoos cookies? You will not be able to resist even if you are not a tiramisu follower.
Instructions to make Tiramisu with Speculoos:
Make a cup of coffee and pour a shot of almond liqueur. It must be very hot.
- I recommend to have the mascarpone and eggs at room temperature.
- In a bowl cover the bottom with a layer of Speculoos cookies and moist them with the coffee and liquor mixture with the help of a teaspoon, cover it with another layer of Speculoos cookies and repeat the operation
- Separate the whites from the yolks and mount the whites until stiff
- In another bowl beat the yolks with the sugar at high speed.
- Once the sugar is well mixed with the yolks, add the mascarpone cheese and keep beating until a homogeneous cream remains.
- Hydrate the gelatin sheets for 5 minutes.
- Heat a long shot of almond liquor, when it begins to boil, remove and add the drained gelatine leaves and mix them well in the liquor.
- Add the mixture of almond liqueur with gelatin to the mascarpone mixture.
- On the mascarpone mixture, add the meringue with a spoon or spatula until it is a homogeneous cream..
- Pour half of the cream on the layer of cookies.
- Then add another layer of cookies, dip it with the coffee mixture and almond liqueur, add another layer of cookies and repeat the operation.
- Pour the rest of the cream over the last layer of speculoos biscuits.
- Let it rest for at least 24 hours in the refrigerator and cover the container well so that it does not pick up any odor from the refrigerator.
- Sprinkle pure cocoa powder with a strainer over the last layer of cream just before serving.
- Speculoos cookies are typical Belgian cookies, you can find them in Belgian and French supermarkets and you can also use the Lotus brand coffee cookies sold in most supermarkets throughout Europe.
- The cheese and eggs should be at room temperature to be able to work better the mixture to get it in a perfect texture.
- I recommend using a good mascarpone cheese, which is creamy so that the tiramisu is more consistent.
- Tiramisu is much better if you keep it at least 24 hours before serving and even 48 hours.
- The almond liquor can be any, the one I have used is Disaronno and the cocoa must be pure.
- I recommend sprinkling the cocoa moment it’s being served.
This post is also available in: Spanish