- For the pastry:
- 225 grs of wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 110 grs butter
- 5-6 tablespoons of water
- For custard:
- 1/2 litre whole milk
- 10 Caramel Crème Werther´S Original
- 6 yolks
- 100 grs icing sugar
- 40 grs flour
- 30 grs cornstarch
- For coverage:
- 1 golden apple or red apples but ripe, not green
- 6 tablespoons apricot or peach jam
- 2 tablespoons juice of 1 lemon
- 3 table spoons cream
- 15 caramels Soft Cream Toffees Werther´S Original
I received a batch of Werthers Original candies to prepare a recipe for a contest and I found the combination surprising. I prepared it with the Caramel Creme and Soft Cream Toffees, I melted the Caramel Creme in a basic custard and the Soft Cream Toffees I used them to make a creamy custard and decorate the cake on the surface. The caramel flavour of the Werthers candies is very special, very fine and gives a soft caramel touch to the delicious cake and I will certainly use them again for other recipes. The winter season fruits I have chosen are orange, apple and kaki persimmon. Here I present my recipe step by step.
Instructions to make the Seasonal fruit cake with Werther’s Original custard cream
- First we are going to prepare the shortbread pastry for the base of the cake. Mix the flour, salt and butter with the electric mixer at low speed until sandy consistency and everything is well mixed.
- Add 6 tablespoons of water and mix with the hands until everything is well mixed and a homogeneous dough that we can take with one hand.
- Once we have a consistent mixture , make it a round ball and wrap in transparent film and let aside for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 170ºC
- Once the shortbread pastry is settled, spread the dough on the counter with a little flour and the roll. Line a mold with baking paper to put the dough on, mold the dough well forming the edges with a fork or knife, above of the mass we put another baking paper and we throw chickpeas to avoid that the dough rises when baking.
- Put in the oven for about 10 minutes, remove the chickpeas and bake another 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool.
- For the pastry cream: put the milk in a bain-marie and add the Werthers candies until they are completely melted with the milk and remove.
- Beat the egg yolks with the sugar vigorously with a whisk until it is well swollen, add the flour and cornstarch and mix well with the spatula. Remove a little bit of milk and add to this mixture, joining it well.
- Add the milk little by little to the previous mixture, mix well and put it back in the fire until it reaches the boiling point, always stirring continuously with the hand mixer until it thickens well and at low heat!
- Remove, beat the pastry cream with the mixer to make it thinner and let it cool down. This part is optional, you should have a perfect pastry cream following the steps of point 8, but I like it better when you pass it through the electric mixer, the texture is finer.
- Let’s pour over the shortcrust pastry.
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC.
- Cut the fruit into slices and place them on top of the custard, making circles and covering everything well.
- Heat some apricot marmalade in a saucepan and add lemon juice, strain it.
- Paint the fruit with the jam, using a brush.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Prepare the Soft Cream Toffees Werthers, for this we put the candies in a bain-marie with the cream until it is a homogeneous cream.
- Once we have taken the cake out of the oven, let it cool down for 10 minutes and decorate the cake with the Soft Cream Toffees.
- Leave to cool for at least 3 hours.
- It is a cake that takes time to prepare but it is not difficult if you follow the steps well, the first thing is to take out the butter hours before so that it is soft to make the shortcrust, it is very easy to do.
- For the custard, be careful not to pour too much hot milk into the egg yolk mixture, just let it cool down a bit and then don’t stop stirring.
This post is also available in: Spanish